Countries with a coastline on the Gulf consist of: Iran to the north, Part of Oman to the east, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar to the south, Saudi Arabia to the southwest, and Kuwait and Iraq to the northwest. Various small islands also lie within the Gulf.
Gulf Location: One of the most critical bodies of water, is positioned in the heart of the Middle East. Located in southwestern Asia, it separates the Arabian Peninsula from Iran (formerly called Persia). It connects with the Gulf of Oman and the Arabian Sea through the Strait of Hormuz, which is 48 to 96 Km wide. Its coastal areas are the world's largest single source of crude oil. Therefore powerful naval forces from several countries remain in its waters to protect the flow of oil to the rest of the world, especially considering that the it supplies most of the world's energy needs.
Why Persian Gulf?
- Used in most of the maps from long time ago so there is no need to change the name. It has been and will always remain the Persian Gulf
- Used by United Nations in their documents
- It's a historical name
- On almost all maps printed before 1960, and in most modern international treaties, documents and maps, this body of water is known as the "Persian Gulf".
- Arabian gulf means the Red Sea so the "Arabian gulf" name may create confusion with the Red sea so it's better to use the name Persian gulf
- If the Arabian Gulf gets it's name from the fact that more Arab countries are surrounding it, then India Ocean should also change its name because India has a smaller border with it than other countries
Why Arabian Gulf?
- Used by the Arab League
- Used by United Nations in their Arabic documents and Arabic Language is an official language in the United Nations
- The name "Persian gulf" is linked to the Persian empire that does not exist any more. As Mediterranean sea used to be called Roman Sea
- Iran does not mean Persia, Iranian people consist of Persians, Arabs, Azeri, Turkmen, Kurds, Gilakis, Mazandaranis, Lurs, and Baluchis
- The people who live around the gulf are mostly Arabs so by demography it should be called Arabian Gulf
- There are 6 Arabic countries around the gulf but Iran is alone and 70% of the coast line is under Arabic countries